Friday, February 18, 2011

Shortest Short Story #3

30,000 feet above the Atlantic I am alone, surrounded my a myriad of quiet soles.
Traveling away from the ones you love,
or towards lands afar.
The cabin is sterile, quiet, censored.

Sweet Home Alabama is the in flight movie,
and once the plot reaches the climax,
Reese Witherspoon's slightly overweight father cheers,
"The South Has Risen Again."

I cry.

Not for the south, or Reese Witherspoon, or even that at any conceivable moment this plane could plunge into the icy waters below.

Somewhere a tree is turning 10,000 years old. It is having a birthday party.
This tree has seen everything. A witness to the passage of time.

You and this tree now have all the answers.
I cry because I don't.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes words stop time and between the moments I pause and reflect. "This tree has seen everything. A witness to the passage of time."

    ReplyDelete