Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Old Memories Vs. New Memories

My family has an apartment on the island of Maui, and we spend a lot of time out there, usually 2 weeks at christmas and 3 - 6 weeks in the summer. So naturally, I have met alot of friends during my time there. During the 2007 Christmas holiday I became friends with girl I met on the beach, and we had a lot of fun hanging together, we talked about music, our lives, and just had a ton of fun hanging out together. Near the end of the vacation we exchanged emails and IM's and promised to stay in touch, however those promises are hard to keep. We kept in contact for about 6 months after meeting in Maui, and then began to drift apart. It wasent that one of us was ignoring the other, it was just that we got caught up in our own lives. Well yesterday I arrived on Maui, walked down to the beach and I saw that same girl. She was with her friends and family and I desperatly wanted to say hi, yet I couldn't bring myself to do it. At first I thought I couldnt go over there and reintroduce myself because I was scared. I beleived I might look like an idiot, maybe embaress myself in front of her friends and family, or maybe I was frightened that she wouldnt remember me. Then on further reflection I realized the true reason behind my actions. I was scared to tarnish the memories that we shared during those 2 weeks. The time we spent together so much fun, that I was scared that if I reintroduced myself, and she blew me off, I wouldnt remember her for the great times that we had, but as the chick who ignored me the second time we met. So, as i write this I dont know what to do. I resperatly want to say hi to her, and I hope we can recaputure the friendship we sharred during those 2 weeks, yet at the same time I'm petrified that if she blows me off or fails to remember me, I will have forever tarnished my memory of her and the time we spent together. I honestly dont know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment